Change File Permissions in Kali Linux
Welcome Kali User! This Tutorial Shows You Step-by-step How-to Set or Change the File/Directory Permissions on Kali Linux.
And Following the Kali Linux Change File Permissions Tutorial you’ll acquire also a little Practice on the Kali Linux Console Terminal Command Line.
Finally included int the Article Links to Guides on Kali Linux Command Line Quick Start and to Setting Ownership over Kali Linux File System.
Kali Linux Terminal Tutorial for Beginners:Kali Linux Terminal Quick Start
Who Can Change File’s Permissions?
(First of all the root User is the Default one in Kali, so this instruction is intended for a Normal User)
So to Check What User you are on:
- You Can Freely Change Permissions over Files/Directories Your User’s Hold.
- But you need Admin Super User Powers to Change Permissions on Entities he Do Not Hold!
Setting Up Permissions on Files and Directories
- Use ‘u‘ to Setup Permissions for the User Owner
- Use ‘g‘ to Setup Permissions for the Group Owner
- Use ‘u+g‘ to Setup Permissions for the User and Group Owner
- Use ‘a‘ to Setup Permissions for All (World)
- Use ‘o‘ for Revoking Actual Permissions and Giving Permissions to the Others (the Before Disabled ones)
- Use ‘x‘ to Setup Execution Permission
- Use ‘w‘ to Setup Write/Delete Permission
- Use ‘r‘ to Setup Read Permission
- Use ‘+‘ to Give Permission
- Use ‘–‘ to Remove Permission
Basic Building Blocks for the Permission Command
Generic Permission Command Form:
chmod ownershipSubject[+/-]r/w/x [myEntity]
For Instance :
To Give ‘All’ (read,write/delete,execute) Permissions on the ‘world’ Directory to ‘Everybody’:
chmod a+rwx $HOME/world
(Normally Take Care Before to Open a Directory to the World Because this Can Compromise Your System Security!)
Now to Check Permissions Setup:
ls -l $HOME
To Remove the ‘Write/Delete’ Permission to the ‘World’:
chmod a-w $HOME/world
To Give the ‘Write/Delete’ Permission the ‘world’ Only to the Owner:
chmod u+w $HOME/world
To Give the ‘Write/Delete’ Permission the ‘world’ Also to the Owner’s Group:
chmod g+w $HOME/world
To Remove the ‘Execution’ Permission to the ‘World’:
chmod a-x $HOME/world
To Give the ‘Execution’ Permission to the ‘world’ to the Owner:
chmod u+x $HOME/world
To Give the ‘Execution’ Permission to the ‘world’ Also to the Owner’s Group:
chmod g+x $HOME/world
(After Only You and Your Group will be Able to Access the ‘world’ Directory Directory on Shell!)
How-to Change File Owner on Linux Kali Linux File System:Kali Linux Setting Ownership Command Line