Linux Vagrant Enabling VMware Provider
The Linux Tutorial Shows You Step-by-Step How-to Install the Vagrant Virtual Development Environment VMware Workstation/Fusion Provider Plugins for GNU+Linux.
Vagrant is a tool for building complete development environments, sandboxed in a virtual machine.
Vagrant lowers development environment setup time, increases development/production parity, and brings the idea of disposable compute resources
down to the desktop.
With One Command, Vagrant does all of the following:
- Creates a Virtual Machine for you based on an Operating System of your choice.
- Modifies the Physical Properties of this virtual machine (e.g., RAM, number of
- Establishes Network Interfaces so that you can access your virtual machine from
your own computer, another device on the same network, or even from another
- Sets up Shared Folders so that you can continue editing files on your own machine
and have those modifications mirror over to the guest machine.
- Boots the virtual machine so that it is running.
- Sets the hostname of the machine, since a lot of software depends on this being
- Provisions software on the machine via a shell script or configuration management
solution such as Chef, Puppet, or a custom solution.
- Performs host and guest specific Tweaking to work around known issues that may
arise. For example, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS breaks VirtualBox networking defaults, so
Vagrant makes minor modifications to some configuration in Ubuntu to make sure
networking continues working. Vagrant does these sorts of things for many host/
Installing Vagrant VMware Workstation Provider Plugin
vagrant plugin install vagrant-vmware-workstation
Installing Vagrant VMware Fusion Provider Plugin
vagrant plugin install vagrant-vmware-fusion
Find List of All Available the Vagrant Plugins:
Tags: development environments linux, Getting Started, gnu, gnu/linux, Guide, How-to, how-to vagrant, install vagrant linux, Linux, linux 15.04 vivid vervet, Linux Tutorial, linux virtual machine, linux virtualization, quickstart, Tutorial, vagrant, vagrant development environment, vagrant linux, vagrant quickstart, vagrant quickstart linux, vagrant vmware, vagrant vmware plugin, vagrant vmware provider installation, virtual development environment, virtual development environment linux