Debian Linux Setting Permissions on Debian Linux
The Linux Tutorial Shows You Step-by-step How-to Setup or Change the Permissions over Files and Directories on Debian 7 Wheezy Linux.
To Follow the Tutorial You will Need to have a Little Practice to Work on the Debian Linux Console Terminal Command Line.
Included in the Article Links to Guides on Getting-Started with Command Line on Debian Linux and to Setting Ownership over Debian File System.
First Open a Command Line Terminal Console Window
Cmd/Win & Search for “term”
(Press “Enter” to Execute Commands)Gnome:
Or Login into Server Shell…
Who Can Set/Change the Permissions?
- You Can Freely Set/Change the Permissions Only on Files/Directories You Hold.
- You Need Admin Super-Powers to Set/Change the Permissions on Entities You Do Not Hold!
Setting Up Permissions on Files and Directories
- Use ‘u‘ to Setup Permissions for the User Owner
- Use ‘g‘ to Setup Permissions for the Group Owner
- Use ‘u+g‘ to Setup Permissions for the User and Group Owner
- Use ‘a‘ to Setup Permissions for All (World)
- Use ‘o‘ for Revoking Actual Permissions and Giving Permissions to the Others (the Before Disabled ones)
- Use ‘x‘ to Setup Execution Permission
- Use ‘w‘ to Setup Write/Delete Permission
- Use ‘r‘ to Setup Read Permission
- Use ‘+‘ to Give Permission
- Use ‘-‘ to Remove Permission
Basic Building Blocks for the Permission Command
Generic Permission Command Form:
chmod ownershipSubject[+/-]r/w/x myEntity
For Instance :
To Give ‘All’ (read,write/delete,execute) Permissions on the ‘world’ Directory to the ‘World':
chmod a+rwx $HOME/world
(Normally Take Care Before to Open a Directory to the World Because this Can Compromise Your System Security!)
Now to Check Permissions Setup:
ls -l $HOME
To Remove the ‘Write/Delete’ Permission to the ‘World':
chmod a-w $HOME/world
To Give the ‘Write/Delete’ Permission the ‘world’ Only to the Owner:
chmod u+w $HOME/world
To Give the ‘Write/Delete’ Permission the ‘world’ Also to the Owner’s Group:
chmod g+w $HOME/world
To Remove the ‘Execution’ Permission to the ‘World':
chmod a-x $HOME/world
To Give the ‘Execution’ Permission to the ‘world’ to the Owner:
chmod u+x $HOME/world
To Give the ‘Execution’ Permission to the ‘world’ Also to the Owner’s Group:
chmod g+x $HOME/world
(After Only You and Your Group will be Able to Access the ‘world’ Directory Directory on Shell!)
How-to Set Ownership on Debian File System:Debian Setting Ownership Quick-Start
How-to Quick-Start with Command Line on Debian:
Tags: Bash, Command line, Console, Debian, Debian 7 Wheezy, debian change permissions, debian command line, debian console, debian directory permissions, debian file permissions, debian linux, Getting Started, linux command line, linux console, linux terminal, Linux Tutorial, Quick Start, Terminal, Tutorial